Many people undergo nose surgery to enhance, not only their aesthetic appearance, but also certain functional features.
Before making the decision to enter to or undergo a rhinoplasty surgery, there are many things to take into account. In this article, you can identify some important points.
However, it is important to consider that your surgeon will be the one to determine which procedure and technique is the most appropriate to achieve your goals and all the pre- and post-surgical care.
When you are considering undergoing a cosmetic nose surgery you should talk to your surgeon about:
Rhinoplasty: It modifies the nasal bone and cartilage to enhance facial harmony and the proportions of your nose compared with the rest of the face. Rhinoplasty can achieve a straight nose and reduce or increase the size of the nostrils. The tip of the nose can also be raised to give it a more youthful appearance.
- Rhino-septoplasty: This surgery, besides remodelling the nose, also aligns the septum, which is the vertical wall separating the right and left nostrils. It could have deviations, which can cause breathing difficulties, so rhino-septoplasty can correct this functional aspect of the nose.
Incision typeOnce you have chosen the type of cosmetic surgery you are undergoing, the surgeon must inform you about the type of incisions he/she is going to do and the reasons to use this technique, related to the characteristics of each patient and the results wanted. The incisions could be:
- Open: A small incision is hidden in the columella’s skin (the skin between the two nostrils).
- Closed: The incision is done inside the nostrils.
- One aspect to consider is that nose surgery can take between one and three hours and is an outpatient surgery, so you can go home the same day.
- It is also important to highlight that recovering takes around 3 months and the final results can be appreciated 12 months after the surgery, which is the time that it takes inflammation to disappear from the tissue and heal completely.
Choose your facial surgeon wisely
This procedure is one of the most complicated cosmetic surgeries; therefore, we cannot stress enough the importance of choosing an experienced and certified cosmetic surgeon.
Dr. José Luis Salas is a surgeon specialized in head and neck surgery with a certification in Reconstructive and Plastic Surgery; he has more than 35 years of experience, and he has done thousands of facial surgeries. He is also founding member of the Mexican Society of Rhinology and Facial Surgery and Baja California Hospital Association, as well as member of different Cosmetic Surgery Associations in USA.